MRC Director of Capital and Estates
Susan Simon is the Director of Capital and Estates and Chief Environmental Sustainability Officer for the Medical Research Council (MRC).
Susan’s role is to:
- ensure that MRC research facilities fully support the world-leading science delivered by MRC scientists, and are operated in accordance with relevant standards and legislation
- ensure that MRC complies with its responsibilities under health and safety, including physical security and business continuity, and to engage with the units and institutes to improve on health and safety performance
- ensure a close relationship between MRC and its units and institutes, and to provide support in developing project plans for future developments
- ensure that all estates-related projects are delivered within their given budgets and timelines and with the expected benefits
- represent MRC’s interests on projects in collaboration with universities and charities, ensuring good governance and protecting MRC investment
- support the Chief Operating and Finance Officer in the management of capital funds
- support MRC projects and programmes in implementing good project management and governance and mentor staff in applying best practice
She is also Senior Responsible Officer for MRC’s environmental sustainability programme and acts as Interim Director for UKRI’s Environmental Sustainability Programme to meet UKRI’s target of achieving a net zero position by 2040.
Last updated: 5 September 2023