Data citation: what you need to know (PDF)
If you cannot open or read this document, you can ask for a different format.
Request a different format
Email email@example.com, telling us:
- the name of the document
- what format you need
- any assistive technology you use (such as type of screen reader).
Find out about our approach to the accessibility of our website.
If you get Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) funding, you should use this guidance alongside the ESRC research data policy. This will make sure that you cite your data consistently and effectively.
It also helps other researchers to more easily find and use the primary data underlying your research.
The guidance covers:
- why you should cite research data
- enabling citation
- best practice in data citation
- how digital object identifiers work
- how data citation can be encouraged by academic publishers and editors, professional associations and research institutions, data producers and researchers, and data centres and archives.