The study of shape and form, including algebraic geometry, algebraic topology, geometric topology and geometric group theory, differential geometry and geometric analysis.
Geometry and topology is the study of shape and form, including algebraic geometry, algebraic topology, geometric topology and geometric group theory, differential geometry and geometric analysis.
The UK continues to be a world leader in geometry and topology.
We aim to develop this research area by:
- supporting strong leadership within the community of researchers working in geometry and topology to ensure that existing excellence is preserved in the longer term and that the UK continues to have specialist capabilities to lead the global research landscape
- continuing to strengthen links to other areas of the mathematical sciences as a key priority, due to the broad nature of research within the mathematical sciences
- supporting research focused on overarching government priorities including, but not limited to, data science and robotics and autonomous systems – geometric and topological research has the potential to play a transformative role in data analytics (through topological data analysis, for instance)
- continuing to support the development of emerging research topics and building on areas of current UK strength to produce transformative research
- monitoring and supporting the training and development of researchers at all career stages to ensure an adequate balance of new researchers and research leaders
- working with the research community to identify the most appropriate routes to maximise and highlight the impact of ongoing research from this area.