This programme looks at the development of medicine and healthcare practices to help us learn future lessons. It uses the cultural context of healthcare and behaviour to learn about culturally appropriate interventions, and explores diverse approaches to improving quality of life beyond medicine.
There are six specialist areas:
- Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) – the ability of microbes to resist effects used to treat them
- Global public health – health and wellbeing research within international development contexts
- Healthy ageing – the challenges of demographic change and ageing well
- Medical humanities – projects that apply the humanities and arts to the field of medicine
- Mental health – arts and humanities perspectives on mental health, and mental ill health.