Quantum technologies exploit the unique properties of quantum physics to achieve functionality and performance that cannot be achieved using classical physics. EPSRC funds research and training to tackle the technological challenges in realising a new generation of quantum technologies.
The UK quantum technologies theme tackles the key technological challenges that must be overcome to realise the promise of the new generation of quantum technologies. They offer a major opportunity for the UK, thanks to the global position of our research base and key stakeholder partnerships. The programme builds on a strong base of EPSRC research across a number of research areas.
In addition to funding delivered by this theme, relevant research underpinning quantum science is supported by EPSRC’s physical sciences theme, while applied quantum science and engineering research is supported by EPSRC’s information and communication technologies theme.
EPSRC is a strategic and delivery partner for the National Quantum Technology Programme (NQTP). The NQTP represents £1 billion of public and private investment to bring together academia, industry and government to accelerate the translation of quantum technologies into the marketplace, open new opportunities to British businesses, and unlock new capabilities that can make a difference to our everyday lives.
The first phase of the UK NQTP ran from 2014 to 2019. The programme is currently in its second five-year phase.
EPSRC supports the development of quantum technologies in the UK through:
- a national network of quantum technology hubs, focused on world leading technology research, with high levels of engagement from business, aimed at bringing quantum science through technology to potential application
- supporting the high level skills required to help support new sectors of the economy in areas demonstrating strong promise
- coordinating an innovation programme, in partnership with Innovate UK, to support translation of quantum technology research towards potential application.
The NQTP invests in a range of programmes to advance technologies in a wide variety of applications and sectors. The programme supports the exploitation of quantum technologies from academia to applications in research, to strengthening capabilities, to business and towards industrial maturity.
The programme will:
- secure the UK’s position in quantum technologies
- stimulate market growth, unleashing innovation, thriving ecosystem
- maintain and build the UK’s excellence in research and technology
- build a resilient network of national assets and mutually beneficial international relationships
- grow, attract and retain talent.
The programme focuses on supporting world-leading research into novel quantum technologies – it supports a diverse, multidisciplinary community of engineers, applied physical scientists and mathematicians focused on the challenge of emerging technology development.
Via our standard funding mechanisms, EPSRC continues to sponsor the UK’s excellent quantum science base, in addition to the technology research supported by the Quantum Technologies Programme. By closely coupling our world-leading scientific capabilities with a dedicated suite of activities focused on emerging technology concepts and applications, the UK National Quantum Technologies Programme aims to maximise the potential benefit of novel quantum technologies for the UK.
You can find out more about: