As the UK’s largest funder of independent environmental science, we have a responsibility to engage society with the science we fund. We want to meaningfully engage and involve people with current environmental science which has relevance to all of our daily lives, and maximise the impact of the research we fund. By listening to, engaging and involving the public, we aim to fund the best environmental science relevant to society, to enable informed, evidence-based decisions to be made by all.
Supporting the UKRI vision: discuss, create and participate
NERC has a strategy for public engagement with research and innovation, which supports the UKRI Vision for public engagement. We work alongside the whole of UKRI to deliver our strategy.
Public engagement strategy and glossary
The NERC Public Engagement with Research and Innovation Strategy outlines our purpose, objectives, approach and commitment to public engagement from 2019 to 2025. Our activities, and those we commission, will be guided by five objectives:
- to build the capacity of our researchers to engage
- to promote engaged research
- to convene public debate about contemporary issues in environmental science
- to inspire public audiences with environmental science
- to listen to the public through public dialogue to inform NERC.
NERC’s mission to engage the public with environmental science is referred to in the Higher Education & Research Act (PDF).
Find out stories of engagement and its impacts:
- Impacts from NERC’s public engagement programme
- Turning trailblazing science into agenda-setting TV: NERC science helps to shape BBC nature documentaries that drive public policy and change the way people choose to live their lives – extraordinary, award-winning programmes watched by millions and exported worldwide.
- See more stories of impact from our engagement work.
You can ask us for more information about public engagement.
Last updated: 22 June 2022