As part of our efforts to evaluate and analyse the effectiveness of UKRI investment, at any one time we will be overseeing multiple evaluations of projects and activities.
On this page you can find out more about some of the programmes and activities that are currently being evaluated. We are sharing these details as we are committed to principles of transparency and openness.
When the reviews have concluded we will publish the outcomes as evaluation reports. This is where you can find UKRI’s completed evaluations and analyses, which we use to inform decision-making in UKRI policy, strategy and investment.
Examples of current, ongoing evaluations
We are evaluating our response to COVID-19, both the funding for research and innovation to help tackle the pandemic, and our work to stabilise the system. The latter is being evaluated in collaboration with Department for Science, Innovation and Technology (DSIT).
Future Research Assessment Programme
The Future Research Assessment Programme is a significant review into possible approaches to assessing UK higher education research performance.
One element of the evaluation involves the qualitative and quantitative analysis of the almost 7,000 impact case studies submitted to the REF. This is for:
- the UK higher education funding bodies to extract common themes and messages of the broad impact of higher education research on wider society
- UKRI to analyse those case studies which reference UKRI support to:
- provide evidence of impact from UKRI funding
- inform strategy development through helping to understand how impact is being achieved
RAND Europe is overseeing the evaluation. The report is expected in summer 2023.
Find out more about the Future Research Assessment Programme.
National Productivity Investment Fund
We are evaluating the five National Productivity Investment Fund Programmes:
- Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund
- Strength in Places Fund
- Strategic Priorities Fund
- Fund for International Collaboration
- Future Leaders Fellowships
We will publish interim reports of these evaluations on our evaluation reports web page.
Last updated: 28 April 2023