All Medical Research Council (MRC) funded scientists, including clinical researchers, are required to follow the principles of good research as a condition of their funding. These general principles complement MRC guidance on good practice and regulatory requirements for specific types of research.
Principles and guidelines
The UKRI policy on the governance of good research practice (GRP) has superseded the previous Research Councils UK (RCUK) Policy. The policy sets out UKRI expectations to organisations.
This will support organisations to have fair, transparent and robust policies and procedures in place to enable them to respond to and address incidents of research misconduct.
In addition, the MRC Ethics Series document Good research practice: principles and guidelines sets out MRC’s expectations for MRC institutes, MRC university units, MRC centres and MRC grant holders in the form of principles, guidelines and standards to foster good research practice in all MRC-funded research.
To support and raise awareness of the principles and guidelines outlined in our Good Research Practice document, MRC has developed an e-learning module that is available for all researchers to access via the Regulatory Support Centre’s e-learning platform.
Good research practice policies and guidance
These policies and resources support our good research practice guidelines:
- Data management and sharing
- Framework on the feedback of health-related findings in research
- Good practice in sharing participant data from publicly funded clinical trials
- Global bioethics
- Managing the risk of research misuse
- Open access policy
- Open research data: clinical trials and public health interventions
- Clinical research governance
- Policy on clinical trials regulations governance
- Policy on health departments research governance framework
- Preprint policy
- Research and governance standards for UK-China research collaborations (CURE report 2009)
- Research involving animals
- Research involving cohort resources
- Research using human samples
- Sharing research data from population and patient studies
- UKRI policy on the governance of good research practice.
In addition to policies and resources that support good research practice and research integrity, the Medical Research Council (MRC) Ethics Series are guides that address specific regulatory and ethical considerations relating to research.
Last updated: 17 August 2023