Who we fund


Researchers and research organisations

We fund researchers in all disciplines working in the UK and abroad.

Funding is available as:

  • grants for researchers or groups of researchers on a specific project
  • fellowships for individual researchers
  • studentships for those beginning their postgraduate research
  • support for essential research activities including overseas travel, buying equipment and setting up networks.

Researchers can work alone, within expert groups at their university, or collaboratively across borders, at specialist institutes, and with businesses and charities.

Research organisations can also apply for funding to create or develop facilities, laboratories, equipment and infrastructure.

International researchers

Researchers based in countries outside the UK can work as co-investigators on some funding opportunities.

The principal investigator for these opportunities must be based in the UK.

Academics and researchers who are not from the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland can also apply for a Global Talent visa.

The visa allows holders to work in the UK for up to five years without a sponsor or other entry requirements. You will then be able to apply for opportunities open to those based in the UK.

Last updated: 12 October 2023

This is the website for UKRI: our seven research councils, Research England and Innovate UK. Let us know if you have feedback or would like to help improve our online products and services.