UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) will use personal information in the way stated on this page when you:
- use UKRI websites and online services
- attend a UKRI event
- visit UKRI’s sites
- sign up for communications and engagement, such as newsletters
- participate in surveys
- contact UKRI for any reason, including making a request for information
What information we need
The details of your visit to the UKRI website is collected and includes:
- traffic data
- location data weblogs
- other communication data
- the resources that you access
When other personal data is required to access our sites and services an additional privacy notice or transparency statement will be provided.
When you sign up for communications and public engagement activities such as receiving newsletters or participating in a survey, the following information will likely be collected:
- email address
- your interests
- any information you chose to share as part of the survey or engagement activity
When you attend a UKRI event the organisers will inform you of the specific information they will collect, including gaining your consent to be photographed or filmed where relevant. This is likely to include:
- your name
- your contact information, such as email address and phone number
- the interest, business, or organisation you represent
- accessibility needs
- if relevant, any allergies or intolerances
When you visit a UKRI site, the following information will be collected:
- contact information, such as email address and phone number
- date and time of your visit
- vehicle details
- who you are visiting
- your image and recording of you as CCTV is in operation across all UKRI sites
When you contact UKRI for any purpose, we collect the information that you provide to us in your correspondence.
Why we need your information and what we do with it
When you use UKRI websites or services, or sign up to UKRI’s newsletter, we process your information so that we can:
- ensure that website content is presented in the most effective way
- provide you with information, products or services
- provide information on subjects that may interest you, when you have consented for us to do this
- provide you with a means to access, or purchase, products and services
- allow you to participate in interactive features when you choose to do so
- notify you about changes to our websites or services
When you sign up to attend a UKRI event we process your information so that we can:
- organise the event and contact you with the details and any changes and updates
- ensure we can meet health and safety requirements
- ensure that the event is accessible to participants
- ensure attendees’ dietary requirements are considered
When you visit one of our sites, we process your information so that we can:
- ensure that our facilities, employees and information is secure and only authorised individuals are present on site
- ensure your safety when on site, for example, so we are aware you are on site in case of incidents
- make arrangements for your visit, for example, being aware of the capacity for parking on the day of your visit
- contact you in case any changes need to be made to your visit or in case of an emergency
When you contact us by any means, we process your information so that we can:
- correspond and respond to your enquiry
- share this with the relevant team within UKRI so they can respond to your enquiry
Some phone calls may be recorded for quality control purposes, you will be informed at the beginning of the call if it is being recorded.
Who we share your information with
Personal data may be shared with organisations we work with to enable us to provide you with our products and services. For example, if you are attending an event and have informed us of your dietary requirements this information will be shared so that your requirements can be considered.
How long we keep your information
We will keep your personal information for as long it is needed to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected. It will be kept in accordance with our information management policy and retention schedule.
For example, if you sign up to our newsletter, we will keep your information to enable us to send you the newsletter. If you withdraw your consent your personal data will then be removed as it is no longer needed.
If you are participating in a survey, event or any other engagement activity more specific information regarding how long your information needs to be kept will be provided when you sign up.
The lawful basis we process your information under
The lawful basis we use to process your personal data will depend on our interaction with you, it is likely to be:
- public task
- legitimate interests
The rights you have
The rights you have will depend on which lawful basis is used to collect and process your personal data.
The rights that apply regardless of what lawful basis is used are:
- the right of access
- the right to rectification
- the right to be informed
- rights related to automated decision-making including profiling
To find out information on your rights under UK data protection legislation, read your data protection rights.
Last updated: 13 December 2022