The CoSTAR National Lab will bring together world leaders in applied technology research and story. It is led by Royal Holloway University of London with partners:
- Pinewood Studios
- University of Surrey
- Abertay University
- National Film and Television School
- Surrey County Council
The CoSTAR National Lab will enable small and medium businesses (SMEs) and wider industry to do what they could not do alone by:
- building, commissioning, testing and demonstrating the facilities of the CoSTAR National Lab in Applied Research, enabling early stage research to experimental prototyping
- placing applied research side-by-side with live commercial productions, with a network of industry leaders offering routes to commercialisation and markets beyond most SME networks
- providing unique access to world-leading creative businesses and talent to stimulate feedback between creative technology research and development (R&D) and commercial and creative exploitation
- fusing R&D with production expertise and industry via the UK’s National Film and Television School, the world’s leading film school, coupled with research-in-action PhD programmes
The National Lab will also deliver a Knowledge Exchange and Commercialisation Function and a Pilots, Demonstrators and Trials programme on behalf of the CoSTAR network.
The National Lab will include dedicated stage and studio space, featuring advanced creative computing technologies, a large-scale virtual production system, a 5G-6G private network, a motion capture rig, and a state-of-the-art creative artificial intelligence (AI) compute facility accessible across the UK. Its networked facilities will provide access to the nationwide CoSTAR infrastructure.
Last updated: 22 November 2023