The Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) supports research in areas including:
- atmospheric physics and chemistry
- climate and climate change
- ecology, biodiversity and systematics
- marine environments
- polar sciences
- science-based archaeology
- terrestrial and freshwater environments.
Check if your research is within NERC’s remit
You can check the research areas you can include in funding proposals to NERC.
You can also contact NERC to ask if your research is within its remit before making a research proposal. It’s a good idea to do this if your research is interdisciplinary or not clearly within NERC’s research areas.
You might also want to consider how your research contributes to NERC’s research portfolio and priorities.