NERC’s delivery plan sets out our ambition to lead our research community in working towards solutions for a productive, healthy and resilient environment.
This ambition informs the programmes we fund. Many of our programmes are funded jointly with other councils or partners, both in the UK and internationally.
NERC’s current programmes include:
- Clean air
- Digital environment
- Enabling research in smart sustainable plastic packaging
- Greenhouse gas removal from the atmosphere
- Regional impact from science of the environment
- Sustainable management of UK marine resources
- UK climate resilience
- Understanding the effectiveness of natural flood management.
Our strategic research portfolio
NERC’s strategic research funding supports research into environmental areas of major economic and societal importance. It aims to address key science challenges and priorities for the 21st century.
Our national capability activities
NERC’s national capability activities help the UK to support national strategic needs, respond to emergencies and deliver world-leading environmental science.
This includes funding and delivering:
- scientific research
- large-scale research infrastructure
- services, facilities and data
- activities for the national and public good.
Our capital delivery activities
We invest in the facilities, equipment and infrastructure needed to support world-class environmental science.