The National Interdisciplinary Circular Economy Research (NICER) programme includes investment for a Circular Economy hub, centres, and collaborative research and development competitions to realise the UK’s potential to grow and prosper sustainably by transitioning to a more circular economy.
The programme consists of:
- five resource-flow specific centres
- a Circular Economy Hub
- collaborative research and development (CR&D) competitions.
This programme is intended to establish a national integrated interdisciplinary research and innovation community for circular economy research. The main aims are to:
- accelerate understanding and solutions to enable circularity of specific resource and waste streams
- provide national leadership, coordinate and drive knowledge exchange across the programme as a whole, and with policy, consumer and business stakeholders
- ensure research is embedded with stakeholders by involving business, policy, consumers and society at every part of the programme, including the provision of funding through centres to enable small and medium sized enterprise involvement.