Frontier bioscience is pioneering, innovative and creative research that can lead to far-reaching discoveries. The support for this area is central to Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)’s mission to advance knowledge and technology.
We promote creative, curiosity-driven frontier bioscience to address fundamental questions in biology. Our frontier bioscience theme gives high priority to world-class discovery research, recognising it as essential to ensuring the UK remains a global leader and that we deliver bioscience for the future.
BBSRC has a unique role and responsibility within the UK bioscience research community and takes a consultative approach to strategy development for frontier bioscience. We recognise the importance of sustaining an investment portfolio that encompasses creative blue skies investigations as well as more strategic and applied programmes.
By fostering frontier bioscience BBSRC will:
- support inspired research ideas at the frontiers of bioscience
- enable talented scientists to explore novel concepts that have the potential to transform our understanding of life
- encourage and promote multidisciplinary partnerships between researchers, recognising that ground-breaking discoveries often come through collaboration
- drive scientific discovery through an emphasis on scientific excellence and transformative potential in peer-review funding decisions
- promote a culture that recognises the long-term value of creative frontier approaches
- uphold the UK’s world-leading reputation and champion investment in frontier research.