Contact us


Make a request for personal information

UKRI needs to collect and process personal data about the people we interact with to carry out our business effectively. You can write to UKRI to access the information we hold about you.

Types of information you can request

The Data Protection Act 2018 allows you to find out what personal information we hold about you and to request to see, correct or erase that information.

You can request to:

  • be informed about how your data is being used and how it is kept
  • get access to your personal data
  • update any incorrect data about you
  • have data erased
  • stop or restrict processing of your data
  • port your data to reuse it for different services
  • object to how your data is processed in certain circumstances.

Charges for information

Most information will be provided free of charge. However, we may charge an administrative fee in some circumstances, for example if:

  • a large amount of information is being requested
  • the request will take a lot of time and effort to process.

Any charges we make will be justified, transparent and kept to a minimum.

How to make a request

Make your request to:

Data Protection Officer
UK Research and Innovation
Polaris House
North Star Avenue


You should:

  • outline your request as clearly as possible
  • provide any dates, if relevant
  • give names and organisations, if relevant
  • state the format in which you would like this information (hard copy or electronic).

In return we will:

  • respond to acknowledge your request has been received
  • act on your request within one month, as required by data protection legislation. If the request is particularly complex and will take longer to resolve, we will write to tell you this
  • write to tell you if your request is not applicable, and provide reasons why.

There are some situations where we may need to withhold information, for example, if it is highly confidential or is subject to exemption.

How to make an appeal

If you aren’t satisfied with the response you receive, you can appeal to have your case looked at again.

Your appeal should be sent to:

Head of Information Governance
UK Research and Innovation
Polaris House
North Star Avenue


If you are still unhappy with the response, believe your information is being misused, or you need advice, then you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.

They will investigate your claim and take any necessary action.

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Telephone: 0303 123 1113


Last updated: 30 October 2020

This is the website for UKRI: our seven research councils, Research England and Innovate UK. Let us know if you have feedback or would like to help improve our online products and services.