UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) will use your personal information as outlined here to manage applications for employment with UKRI.
This information applies to the application and selection process only.
To find out about employee data, read how we handle UKRI employee data.
What information we need
The following personal information is collected from you when you apply for employment with UKRI:
- contact details such as email address, phone number and postal address
- past employment and educational history
- any personal details supplied by you on the application or your CV
- referee details
You will be asked to provide equality, diversity and inclusion information, such as:
- ethnic group
- gender identity
- sexual orientation
If you are invited for an interview:
- you may also be asked if you have any accessibility or other needs
- interview records will be created
If you subsequently receive a conditional offer of employment, more personal information will be needed, this includes:
- proof of your identity and right to work in the UK
- bank information
- information about your health
- information required for security vetting, which may include national security vetting, if applicable to the role you have applied for
Why we need your information and what we do with it
Your personal information is collected so that we can:
- carry out the recruitment process, for example, to shortlist applications and conduct an interview
- meet our legal obligations for example our obligations under the Equality Act 2010 and understanding your accessibility needs to ensure reasonable adjustments are made for an interview and any subsequent employment
- carry out pre-employment checks, for example, your right to work in the UK
- carry out security vetting when appropriate for your role, which may include national security vetting
- check qualifications and other conditions of employment
- enroll you with UKRI’s pension provider
- pay you and manage your tax and national insurance contributions
Who we share your information with
UKRI uses the following data processors to help manage the recruitment process:
- UK Shared Business Services (UK SBS)
- recruitment management providers, such as Taleo and Workday
- pension providers
- UK visa and immigration
- UK security vetting
- disclosure and barring service
- recruitment agencies
- occupational health providers
- other organisations for pre-employment screening
Your information is stored securely on Oracle’s UK Gov Cage and the servers are based in the UK.
How long we keep your information
We will keep your personal information for as long it is needed to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected. It will be kept in accordance with our information management policy and retention schedule.
The lawful basis we process your information under
The lawful basis we use to process your personal data will depend on our interaction with you, it is likely to be:
- performance of a contract
- legal obligation
- public task
The rights you have
The rights you have will depend on which lawful basis is used to collect and process your personal data.
The rights that apply regardless of what lawful basis is used are:
- the right of access
- the right to rectification
- the right to be informed
- rights related to automated decision-making including profiling
To find out information on your rights under UK data protection legislation, read your data protection rights.
Last updated: 13 December 2022