In 2017/18 the Medical Research Council’s (MRC) gross research expenditure, funded by our sponsor department at the time Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) allocation and contributions from other bodies, was £814.1 million, compared to £755.5 million in 2016/17. The support for world-class medical research to improve human health and enhance the economic competitiveness of the UK included:
- £380.2 million on grants to researchers in universities, medical schools and research organisations
- £150 million on programmes within the MRC’s own units and institutes including £4 million on studentships
- £194.1 million on programmes within university units and partnership institutes including transfer of property, plant and equipment with a net book value of £24.2 million
- £71.4 million on studentships and fellowships in universities, medical schools and research establishments
- £18.3 million for international subscriptions.