The UKRI Board is our primary governing body. It has general oversight of UKRI’s activities and is responsible for achieving UKRI’s strategic objective and vision.
The board is made up of UKRI’s Chair, Chief Executive and Chief Finance Officer, as well as between 9 and 12 independent members drawn from higher education, industry and commerce, policy, and charities and other non-governmental organisations.
Board members are appointed by the Secretary of State for Business Education and Industrial Strategy. Members initially serve for three to five years. The board is required to give updates and advice to the Secretary of State, including an annual report and strategic priorities.
The board is supported by the Audit, Risk, Assurance and Performance Committee, the Nominations and Remuneration Committee and a Board Investment Committee that provides independent scrutiny of major business cases that exceed UKRI’s delegations.
Current members of the board include:
- Sir John Kingman – Chair of UKRI, Chair of Legal and General Group and former Second Permanent Secretary to HM Treasury
- Professor Dame Ottoline Leyser – Chief Executive, UKRI, Chair of the Royal Society’s Science Policy Expert Advisory Committee and member of the Council for Science and Technology
- Siobhan Peters – Chief Finance Officer, UKRI
- Sir Peter Bazalgette – Executive Chair of ITV
- Professor Julia Black – Pro Director for Research at the London School of Economics and senior independent UKRI Board member
- Professor Sir Leszek Borysiewicz – Chair of Cancer Research UK
- Lord John Browne – Executive Chairman of L1 Energy
- Fiona Driscoll – Chair, UKRI Audit Committee and Chair of Nuffield Health Audit Committee
- Sir Harpal Kumar – Head of Innovation, EMEA, Johnson & Johnson
- Professor Max Lu – President and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Surrey
- Vivienne Parry – Head of Engagement for Genomics England
- Lord David Willetts – Executive Chair of the Resolution Foundation
- Professor Dame Sally Davies – Master of Trinity College Cambridge (As a civil servant, Dame Sally is not a formally appointed a member of the board, but joins meetings in a personal capacity as an observer)
- Professor Sir Ian Diamond – Chief Executive of the UK Statistics Authority (As National Statistician, Sir Ian is not a member of the board, but joins meetings in a personal capacity as an observer).
Board meeting minutes
UKRI board meetings are held up to eight times a year and we publish minutes to ensure transparency and accountability.
- 13 November 2019 meeting minutes (PDF, 190KB)
- 11 September 2019 meeting minutes (PDF, 180KB)
- 29 July 2019 meeting minutes (PDF, 60KB)
- 2 July 2019 meeting minutes (PDF, 80KB)
- 29 May 2019 meeting minutes (PDF, 80KB)
- 27 March 2019 meeting minutes (PDF, 80KB)
- 26 February 2019 meeting minutes (PDF, 80KB)
- 22 January 2019 meeting minutes (PDF, 440KB)
- 21 November 2018 meeting minutes (PDF, 240KB)
- 16 October 2018 meeting minutes (PDF, 285KB)
- 19 September 2018 meeting minutes (PDF, 315KB)
- 3 July 2018 meeting minutes (PDF, 340KB)
- 15 May 2018 meeting minutes (PDF, 325KB).