The UK agreed a deal to associate to Horizon Europe on 7 September 2023.
UK researchers can now apply for Horizon Europe funding, certain that all successful UK applicants will be covered through the UK’s association (or through the guarantee) for the remainder of the programme.
All calls in Work Programme 2024 will be covered by association, and the UK guarantee scheme will be extended to cover all calls under Work Programme 2023.
The ’Horizon Europe guarantee’ scheme provides funding to researchers and innovators who were unable to receive their Horizon Europe funding while the UK was in the process of associating.
UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) is delivering the funding through its grant systems on behalf of the Department for Science, Innovation & Technology (DSIT).
Who can apply
To be eligible you must:
- be based in the UK
- have been successful at applying for a Horizon Europe grant during the Work Programme 2021, 2022 or 2023
- have been included on the initial grant proposal as a ‘beneficiary’ with an assigned budget
For ‘multi-beneficiary grants’, the coordinator and the European Commission must have signed your grant agreement before you complete the application process.
For ‘mono-beneficiary grants’, the offer of funding from the Commission must have been withdrawn or you must include a letter stating that you have terminated the ‘grant agreement preparation’ process with the Commission.
How to apply for guarantee funding
Follow the specific guidance given in the section for your type of grant.
Guidance and supporting documents are available for:
- European Research Council (ERC) grants
- European Institute of Innovation and Technology Knowledge and Innovation Communities (EIT-KICs)
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) grants
- all other eligible Horizon Europe grants
If needed for your grant type, you will also find a ‘conversion tool template’ to download and use.
Before applying, you should also check the general UKRI guidance for the Horizon Europe guarantee scheme and UK association to Horizon Europe and the UK Horizon Europe guarantee.