Horizon Europe is an EU research and innovation programme. It has a budget of €95.5 billion and runs until 2027.
The UK agreed a deal to associate to Horizon Europe on 7 September 2023.
UK researchers can now apply for Horizon Europe funding, certain that all successful UK applicants will be covered through the UK’s association (or through the guarantee) for the remainder of the programme.
All calls in Work Programme 2024 will be covered by association, and the UK guarantee scheme will be extended to cover all calls under Work Programme 2023.
In summary, Horizon Europe funding is available for:
- excellent research in any field
- researcher mobility
- research infrastructure
- global challenges and industrial competitiveness including:
- culture, creativity and inclusive society
- civil security for society
- digital, industry and space
- climate, energy and mobility
- food, bioeconomy, natural resources, agriculture and environment
- the development of the European research and innovation systems
Horizon Europe delivers calls through dedicated work programmes. Find out more about the work programmes under Horizon Europe (European Commission).
Find out about applying for Horizon Europe funding.
Horizon Europe guarantee funding
As of April 2023, UKRI had awarded more than £1 billion to UK-based researchers and innovators through the guarantee scheme.
This applies to all Horizon Europe competitions in the Work Programme 2021, 2022 and 2023.
If you have been successful, you can find details on which calls are included and step-by-step instructions on how to access your guaranteed funding.
Guidance and help
As a UK applicant, help is available so you can make the most of Horizon Europe.
Find out where to get guidance and help.