What to do before applying
Before submitting a proposal, all applicants must read:
There are three steps to applying:
- São Paulo-based principal investigators must first confirm eligibility with FAPESP and receive a letter confirming this.
- If you are a São Paulo-based principal investigator, you should submit the FAPESP proposals first via SAGe and then send a copy of this application to your UK principal investigator.
- In the same week, the UK-based principal investigator must submit their application through the joint electronic submission system (Je-S) to ESRC, uploading a copy of the SAGe application as an attachment.
The funding you request from ESRC for the UK part of the project must be between £350,000 and £1 million (full economic cost).
The funding you request from FAPESP must follow the relevant FAPESP funding rules. You do not have to request equal amounts from ESRC and FAPESP. The difference should reflect the variations in costs and local prices.
How to apply online via Je-S
UK applicants must apply using the Je-S system.
We recommend you start your application early. You can save completed details in Je-S at any time and return to continue your application later.
When applying select ‘New document’ then:
- council: ESRC
- call/type/mode: Research grants (open call).
You can find general advice on completing your application in the Je-S handbook.
If you need further help, you can contact the Je-S help desk on 01793 444164 or by email email@example.com.
Your host organisation will be able to provide advice and guidance on completing your application.
You must follow the guidelines for standard research grants when completing your Je-S application unless specified in the ESRC-FAPESP lead agency agreement Je-S guidance for applicants (PDF, 85KB).
For UK-based partners, your proposal document must have a title beginning with the words: ESRC-FAPESP.
You must attach the following documents to your Je-S application:
- a case for support
- justification of UK resources
- a data management plan (if your proposal involves the generation of data)
- CVs for all named researchers, both UK and Brazil-based – each CV should be no more than two pages long
- the FAPESP letter of eligibility
- a copy of the FAPESP proposal form as submitted through SAGe.