Versatile Electron Linear Accelerator (VELA) is a high performance, modular injector facility capable of delivering a highly stable, highly customisable, short pulse, high quality electron beam to a series of test enclosures. The new facility delivers a capability for the cutting-edge development and qualification of advanced accelerator systems, enabling industry to expedite their technology development from prototypes to market ready products.
VELA has the potential to help revolutionise the use of accelerators in priority areas such as:
- healthcare (for example imaging, radiotherapy development and sterilisation)
- security (for example cargo scanning)
- energy (for example development of components for accelerator driven sub-critical reactors)
- industrial processing (for example development of machines for polymer crosslinking and rheological modification)
- environment (for example water treatment).