You can apply for a standard research grant at any time in any field of research relevant to our remit.
There is no limit on the value or the length of the grant.
Two or more eligible organisations can submit linked proposals that together make a coherent project.
We also encourage collaboration with industry, public sector and other organisations.
We support excellent research in:
- digital economy
- global uncertainties
- healthcare technologies (see our dedicated healthcare technologies investigator-led funding opportunity)
- information and communication technologies
- living with environmental change
- manufacturing the future
- mathematical sciences
- physical sciences
- quantum technologies
- research infrastructure.
Find out more about our research areas and themes.
We expect the majority of your research to fall within our remit. We encourage you to contact us first to discuss your proposal if you believe your research may cross research council boundaries.
See our remit query form.
We fund a wide range of projects ranging from small, short-term grants to multi-million-pound research projects including:
- high-risk/high-return research embracing new concepts or techniques
- feasibility studies
- instrument development
- project-specific equipment
- collaborative projects that cross different disciplines.
Read more about EPSRC’s approach to equipment funding.
We will fund 80% of the full economic costs of your project. You may request funding for staff costs, equipment and other items required to carry out the project, costs related to impact, and travel and subsistence.